North Fork Special Service District

Monthly Board Meeting

February 11, 2021 @ 6:30 p.m.

This meeting was held remotely through the ZOOM application

Any members of the public that wanted to join the public portion of the meeting were asked to email a request for invite to the District Clerk at or call 801.225.7263 or 801.404.4734 prior to the meeting in 2 separate public posts.


 Executive Session of the Board of Officers

6:30 p.m. Board member closed session to discuss personnel issues

 Board members present:

Dr. Stephen Minton- Chairman, Stewart Olsen-Vice Chair, Scott Hart, Duaine Dorton

Emily Johnson-District Clerk hosted meeting

 At 6:30 p.m. Dr. Stephen Minton brought to order the February 2021 Monthly Meeting of the Board.  At 6:32 p.m. Stewart Olsen motion to enter close session to discuss personnel matters.  Duaine Dorton seconded, all aye.  Closed session commenced.

At 7:01 p.m. Duaine Dorton motioned to exit executive session and enter open session.  Stuart Olsen seconded, all aye.  Open session commenced and the public was invited into the video meeting.

Monthly Meeting of the Board of Officers

 Board members present:

Dr. Stephen Minton- Chairman, Stewart Olsen-Vice Chair, Scott Hart, Duaine Dorton

Bert Thomas arrived at 7:09 p.m. and left at approximately 8:12 p.m.

 Dr. Stephen Minton had technical issues between 7:35 p.m. and 7:55 p.m.

 Staff members present:

Stephen Miche-Public Works Director, David Marsella-Fire Chief, Emily Johnson-District Clerk, Aubree Durrant-Public Works, Joseph Martin-Controller, Ryan Taylor-Engineer

 Public present:

Chris Storbeck, Bryan Kindred, Chad Linebaugh, Steve Spiker

(Chris Storbeck left at approximately 8:31 p.m.)

Public Comments

– None

#1 Water Committee Report

Chris Storbeck presented the February 2021 community water committee report.  In the previous board meeting, the committee was asked to review the current water moratorium in place for the District.  Although paper water is not an issue currently, wet water and State regulations causes some concern.  The analysis was that we should not add connections to the system until the District has access to more winter/summer water.  The water rates structure change and water rights policy were outlined in the report.

 #2 District Clerk Information

– Emily Johnson-District Clerk presented. Emily reported she has invited Josh McKell from the Utah Local Government Trust to attend the board meeting next month to go over the District benefits with the Board.  This will be included as part of the yearly mandatory board training; the meeting will start at 6:30 p.m.

The Board appointments should be announced by the Utah County Commissioners February 24th for the three openings.  Anyone who is qualified and would like to apply must do so by February 19th.

Yearly records retention schedules are taking place.  The preparation for the 2020 audit will take place next week.

#3 Fire/EMS Report

– Chief David Marsella presented.  Chief Marsella reported the District had a busy month.  There were 13 EMS transports.  There were 28 calls, the stats were listed in the monthly report.

A $59,000 wildland reimbursement was received yesterday, there is $13,790.38 remaining that will be reimbursed for the 2020 wildland season.

Discussion of replacement of the wildland engine 213 took place.  There are 2 engines available in Idaho currently.  The  replacement cost is approximately $350,000.  There will be some equipment such as radios that will need to be included.  A decision needs to be made or a stock vehicle will not be available for more than a year.

#4 Financial Information

– Joe Martin-Controller presented the financial statements as of December 2020 preliminary draft of the 2020 audit.  Joe showed the assets and liabilities in wildland earning $402,230 revenue in 2020.  The net income for 2020 in wildland is $188,000.  There was a beginning net position, most of the assets for wildland are cash and there are very few liabilities.

The cashflow statement was explained by breaking out each department.

A discussion of PTIF funds and the promised or intended use for those historically is something Joe hopes to review over the next year.  He doesn’t feel there is any issue with the current allocations but thinks it may benefit the District to see what the history of the accounts are.

For the revenue in wildland to continue, new equipment needs to be purchased.  The wildland program has done well over the past couple years, if 2 engines potentially could be sent out in 2021 after the repairs on engine 213 and keeping the old engine local, the District has potential of generating some substantial income.  Chief Marsella anticipates 2021 will be a significant fire year.  According to the State and BLM, they are all expecting a high fire year although nothing is promised.

Discussion of the wildland funds and the hope that it can supplement the fire department and possibly the building of a new station ensued.  Stewart Olsen asked that a timeline be developed on how to use the possible funds generated through the wildland program.

Boise Mobile Equipment only has two engines available, if the District doesn’t act now the next opportunity to look at getting a new engine would be after the wildland season is completed.   Chris Storbeck asked if this large purchase of an engine would need to be brought forth in a public financial meeting.  Joe Martin stated he will look at transparency rules to see if a new budget hearing is necessary since this is the beginning of the season and no funds have been used in that department.  Chief Marsella will look at an “emergency purchase” until a hearing can take place.

Dr. Minton asked that BYU-Aspen Grove and Sundance Resort submit a 5-year plan so the District can coordinate with those projects and create their own 5-year plan.

#5 Water/Wastewater Report

– Aubree Durrant-Public Works presented.  Graphs and reports were distributed to the Board prior to the meeting.  Aubree reported water consumption this same time last year is lower by approximately two million gallons, or 6 ac-ft.

Provo River Meeting – As of 19 January, snow water equivalent = 54% vs 120% in 2020. 2020 was classified as an average snow year. By comparison, they are reporting this year as an extreme drought condition. Deer Creek capacity is 76.21%, Jordanelle capacity is 68.79%.  Unaccounted water in the Upper Pressure Zone – Still trying to track this down, leak is staying consistent.

Aubree is working on a grant for water meter transmitter replacement to cellular for real-time reading and customer access. The District had a few frozen water lines last month, public works bought a device to help thaw them properly. Public works is working on one last frozen water line, having a difficult time locating their meter because landscaping challenges.

Wastewater had a pump repaired but it is now having some electrical issues that were trying to address. With this pump not working, we are down MBR 1 basin, relying solely on MBR 2 currently for treatment.

Public Works performed a chemical clean with hydrochloric acid on MBR 2 last month. They saw a positive effect on the membranes, but the hydrochloric acid killed the biology making it difficult to filter. They are in the process of using the backup basin to regrow the biology.  The grease trap installed as part of the pretreatment agreement is a having a positive effect. Aubree reports the lift station no longer looks like a grease trap.  Lab results indicated that there are no violations in the discharge permit for Sundance Resort.

Action Items

#1 Approval of January 2021 Board Meeting Minutes

Duaine Dorton motioned to accept the January 2021 meeting minutes as written, Scott Hart seconded.  All aye, no opposed.  Motion passed.

 #2 River Run

River Run HOA is asking the district clerk to attend a small claims court case with them to explain billing issues that have occurred with the HOA’s former accountant.  The HOA president is also asking that customers be notified of decisions such as rate changes.

Dr. Minton stated the District Clerk provided a letter and documentation which should be satisfactory and that inserting the District Clerk into legal matters or an external dispute to speak for the District is not appropriate.  The Board stated they did not give Emily permission to attend the court hearing.

In following State statue and to avoid putting added burden on the District, Duaine Dorton and Emily will meet to find solutions to help the District to be aware of Board decisions including rate changes. Matter is tabled until Duaine and Emily can meet with a suggestion for notifications.  Scott Hart seconded, no opposed.

#3 Water Moratorium

Due to lack of physical water, Stephen Miche-PW Director recommends that the moratorium remains in place until more physical water can be obtained.  A written copy of the water moratorium and the addendum to the water moratorium will be mailed out to all members of the Board for review and the water moratorium will be voted upon in the March 2021 board meeting. All aye, no opposed, motion tabled.

 #4 Public Hearing for Water Rates Request

The water moratorium, water sources, 5-year plan of the District and other entities within the District were spoken about in great length.  To move forward with the drilling of the well or redevelopment of the springs, a bond will be required.  In accordance with the recommendation from Zions bank, a rate hearing is needed.  Duaine Dorton moved that the District will hold a water rate hearing March 11, 2021.  Stewart Olsen seconded, all aye, no opposed.  Motion passed.

 #5 Wildland Engine

Stewart Olsen motion that the Board approves that Chief Marsella may put down a deposit to hold the type 3 engine with Boise Mobile Equipment.   Duaine Dorton seconded, all aye, no opposed.  Motion passed.

Scott Hart motioned to close the February 2021 meeting, Duaine Dorton seconded, all aye and no opposed.  Meeting ended at 9:37 p.m.

  • Minutes noted and recorded by Emily Johnson-District Clerk.
  • Thomas Merrill left the Board in January 2021 and his place has not been filled

Agenda Board Meeting 2-11-2021

Water and Wastewater Report Jan 2021

Fire Information Report

Cal Fire Spec 2020

Water and Wastewater Report Jan 2021

02112021 Public Hearing Action Item Request