DRAFT

North Fork Special Service District

Monthly Board Meeting

June 11, 2020 @ 7:00 p.m.

This meeting was held remotely through the ZOOM application.  Any members of the public that wanted to join the public portion of the meeting was asked to email a request for invite to the  District Clerk at admin@nfssd.org or call 801.225.7263 or 801.404.4734 prior to the meeting in 3 separate public posts.

Board members present:  Dr. Stephen Minton- Chairman, Stewart Olsen-Vice Chair, Scott Hart, Duaine Dorton, Thomas Merrill, Bert Thomas, Gary Liddiard arrived at 7:50 p.m.

 Staff members present:  Stephen Miche-Public Works Director, Aubree Durrant-Public Works, Emily Johnson-District Clerk, Ryan Taylor-TO Engineering, David Marsella-Fire Chief, Joseph Martin-Controller, Lee Kapaloski-Legal Council

 Public Present:  Brent Hayes, Barbara Anderson, Angela Johnson., Thomas Aston

 Proceedings:

June 2020 Monthly Meeting of the Board was brought to order by Dr. Stephen Minton-Chairman at 7:05 p.m.

Public Comments

– Brent Hayes-Sundance Partners read to the Board Sundance Partners’ proposal for the wastewater system (see attached document).  Discussion of the depth of the grit chamber and the equalization station were discussed.  Gary Liddiard-Board expressed his concerns of who will be operating the equalization station (the North Fork District or Sundance Resort).  Duaine Dorton-Board responded by saying the equalization station is an intricate part of the wastewater system.  Ryan Taylor-District Engineer stated due to the location of the equalization station, both stations need to work together as a unified system and the public works team needs to have access of the station.  Ryan explained that the equalization basin/station encompasses all the wastewater, not only Sundance Resort’s waste.  Ryan stated that it needs to work as one system.  Discussions on Sundance and North Fork working collaboratively to make this a successful project.

Informational Items

#1 Fire/EMS Reports

– Fire Chief David Marsella presented.  Chief Marsella reported that in May we had 10 emergency calls.  There was a five-person incident at Stewart Falls which resulted in both ambulance and air transports.  The COVID-19 cases have doubled in the past weeks so the fire station will be closed to the public but stated he will be available if anyone has questions or concerns to contact him by phone.

EMS collection rate is at 83%.  The State of Utah EMS Grant was received today for $4,200.

The mitigation team is in full force, contact the District office if you see any piles or hazards that need to be chipped.  There was a wildland fire that North Fork’s mitigation team responded to for 2 days with the water truck.  Those State billings will be mailed for reimbursement next week.  Chief Marsella anticipates this will be a significant fire year.

Dr. Minton discussed the COVID-19 concerns and the spike in cases.  He cautioned everyone to be careful.  There is still a lot about the virus that is unknown concerning asymptomatic people and he expressed the importance of protecting the first responders.

An executive session will be held to discuss Chief Marsella’s contract which is coming due for renewal in July 2020’s monthly meeting of the Board at 6:30 p.m.

District Clerk Information

– Emily Johnson-District Clerk presented.  The computer systems have been down frequently in June, internet has been a problem with Rocky Mountain Power outages.  She is unable to connect to the server/Caselle to pull reports for the Controller and the Board currently.  A new router has been put in place at the station which has caused some other connection issues for remote access.

Squire will be on location to conduct the audit this coming Tuesday.  Emily has been working with the District Controller-Joe Martin in order to prepare documents and make any needed accounting entries.  She stated she feels very prepared and anticipates the audit will be completed by the due date of July 1st.

Emily reports with the change of the chart of accounts and data entry, the Caselle reports are becoming easier to use.

The bank signers have been updated.  Thomas Merrill and Scott Hart are now signers and will be taking over the signing/approving of payroll.

Financial Report

– Joe Martin is present for questions if any as he is working on audit preparations during the meeting.

Water/Wastewater Report

– Aubree Durrant-Public Works presented.  April has been a dry month, so water usage has gone up due to sprinkler and outdoor water use but there is no known unaccounted water at this time.

There was a power outage on Monday, at 2:00 a.m. and the lift station generator didn’t kick on.  In past years, the generated would connect with the lift station, a solution for possible future outages needs to be put in place.  Aubree reported the generator is tested twice a year, but there is a disconnect after the generator to the plant down to the lift station on Sundance’s property.

Today a pump faulted on the sewer basin and was pulled.  The Public Works team is trying to determine possible causes for the pump failure including a possible membrane puncture or hose/pipe issue.  They are currently running on one basin which has a compromised pump.  Concerns of shutting down the plant due to circulation issues while draining the basin to determine the problem were discussed.  Aubree anticipates having more answers tomorrow.  Discussion of protective gear while making repairs in confined spaces and compliance steps and precautions public works use were explained.

Action Items

Approval of May 2020 Board Meeting Minutes

– Gary Liddiard motioned to accept the May 2020 Board Meeting Minutes as written, Stewart Olsen second the motion, all aye no opposed.  Motioned passed.

Water Meter Charges on Property 15:005:001

Barbra Anderson and her great nephew Thomas Aston presented.  Questions about the water meter on their property located on the County Parcel Map as 15:005:001 which is surrounded by the Aspen Grove Family Camp.  Discussion of a prior agreement between the property owners and Aspen Grove unbeknownst to the District was had.  Barbra presented a copy of this written agreement.  It was decided that a meeting will be held between the District, the property owners and Aspen Grove to decide what action should be taken on the issue of water and payment of water that is accessible to the property.  Matter tabled.

Benjamin Rucker Water Moratorium Review

– Mr. Rucker was not in attendance but had sent the information via email to the Board prior to this meeting including plans and applications for building on his property, he is seeking a Will Serve Letter.  Discussion of his qualifications as a pre-commitment property and plans were had.  Physical water capacity was discussed; Stephen Miche stated the connection Mr. Rucker is asking for is fitting for the single-family dwelling he has proposed.  Connection fees and available connections were discussed.  Scott Hart-Board stated in the plans he saw a potential for a locking door which could create two residences, discussions regarding this were had.  The Will Serve Letter will specify this is for a single-family dwelling only.  Motion to approve the Will Serve Letter for the Rucker property contingent to the County and HOA standards was made by Gary Liddiard, Stewart Olsen seconded.  All aye, no opposed.  Motion passed.

Postponement of Forest Service Well

– Stephen Miche presented.  He discussed financials for the District and available funds in the bond.  Due to COVID-19 and some loss in revenue he feels holding off on well construction may be necessary.  Chris Storbeck-Community Water Committee Chair stated that he discussed the matter of holding off construction with the Forest Service.  The Forest Engineer replied that if we were to wait 10 years it may be a problem.  Chris feels if there is communication and a timeline shared with the Forest Service, the permit would not be in jeopardy should the well constructions is postponed.  Lee Kapaloski-Legal Counsel asked if there was a completion date discussed.  Chris stated it was open ended.  Duaine Dorton-Board expressed his concerns of the Water Moratorium and being able to lift water restrictions, he asked if there are steps and studies that can take place now to prepare the District to move forward with future construction.

Discussions of Sundance Resort, Redford and other undeveloped property water rights ensued.  Dr. Minton expressed keeping communication with the Forest Service and completing any paperwork or testing needs to be continued so the project can move forward in the future.  Chris Storbeck volunteered to be the liaison for communications between the District and the Forest Service since he has been Chair on this project.

Duaine Dorton asked Ryan Taylor-District Engineer if a cost analysis has been done on the well.  Ryan stated some preliminary cost estimates have been done but a design has not been completed.  Discussion of using bond money and not the water budged funds were conversed.  Quotes will be provided to the Board for cost estimates on things such as point of diversion approvals.

Discussions of COVID-19, the District’s current approved budget and the Utah State Water Adjudication taking place over at least the next year were ensued.  Stephen Miche expressed that drilling the well needs to be done all at once in order to have the least amount of impact to the Forest, yet preliminary actions can be taken should the drilling construction be postponed.

Stewart Olsen-Vice Chair motioned that Stephen Miche will return to the Board with some short- and long-term projects and costs including protection zone and point of diversion applications and the temporary postponement of drilling and construction for the Forest Service Well.  Thomas Merrill seconded.  All aye, motion passed.

Authorization to bill Sundance for engineering and incidental expenses incurred from wastewater discharge compliance

– Duaine Dorton read the proposed agenda item submitted by Stewart Olsen (see attached document).  Discussion of billings to TO-Engineering and billing Sundance Resort through the District was discussed.  Duaine Dorton suggested that a cognitive plan and billing statements be gathered and presented to Sundance Resort.  Discussion of the equalization station, cost and payments and the District’s part in operating the station were discussed.  Duaine explained the progress that has been made by the collaborative efforts made between Sundance Resort and the District in the recent past.  Concerns of Sundance Resort’s discharge of wastewater/sewer systems and the burden it has put on the District in past years were voiced by the Board.

Dr. Minton-Chair stated that a discussion between the District and Sundance Resort should be had regarding the sewer and equalization system, payment and who the responsibility of running the station should be had before a vote is made.  Thomas Merrill-Board expressed the importance of documenting this information and the results of the discussion with all parties signing and understanding to an agreement to avoid confusion in the future.  Bert Thomas expressed the cost and time over the past 10 years the wastewater system has placed on the District and the importance of having a clear understanding to avoid future confusion.

Stewart Olsen retracted the action item and it was agreed a meeting would take place to address the items.  Thomas Merrill motioned that the District speak with the Sundance Resort representatives and go over all the points included in the agenda item submitted by Stewart Olson titled “Authorization to bill Sundance for engineering and incidental expenses incurred from wastewater discharge compliance” and documenting all agreements in writing.  In attendance should include Duaine Dorton, Chad?-Sundance, Justin?-Sundance, Stephen Miche, Stewart Olsen and Ryan Taylor.  The District Clerk will provide invoices that pertain to the equalization project prior to this meeting.  The meeting will be tentatively scheduled for Friday of next week.  Matter tabled.

Duaine Dorton motioned to adjourn the June 2020 Monthly Meeting of the Board Thomas Merrill seconded, all aye.  The June 2020 Monthly Meeting of the Board adjourned at 10:06 p.m.

  • Minutes noted and recorded by Emily Johnson-District Clerk.

Agenda for Board Meeting 6-11-20

EQ Grit Chamber Project Overview

5-2020 Monthly Water Report for Board

Amb billing 2020

Action Item #5 of June 2020 Board Meeting