North Fork Special Service District

Monthly Board Meeting

October 3, 2019 at 7:00 pm

North Fork Fire Station

Board members present:

Dr. Stephen Minton-Chair, Stewart Olsen-Vice Chair, Bert Thomas, Bryan Ackerman, Keith Payne, Duaine Dorton arrived at 8:03 p.m. 

Staff members present:

Stephen Miche-Public Works Director, Emily Johnson-District Clerk, Aubree Durrant-Public Works, Ryan Taylor-TO Engineering, David Marsella-Fire Chief, Lee Kapaloski-Legal Counsel, Joseph Martin-Controller

Chief David Marsella left at 8:45 p.m., Lee Kapaloski left at 8:55 p.m.

Public Present:

Chris Storbeck, Kent Christensen


October 2019 Monthly Meeting of the Board was called to order by Dr. Stephen Minton-Chair at 7:03 p.m.

Public Comments

– Kent Christensen-Resident and Board Member of SCAPO HOA presented.  Kent described how erosion from the North Fork water tank has occurred.  Clean up is costing a lot for excess water usage and being charged to the HOA.  He is asking that some consideration or flexibility be considered when cleaning out culvert, sweeping roads, etc. is done by SCAPO HOA to clear the erosion run off.  He will email the board some picture of the wearing away debris, trees falling, mud, etc.

Mr. and Mrs. Lysenko were in attendance, she stated they here just to listen.

Informational Items:

#1 Community Water Committee Update

– Chris Storbeck presented.  Yesterday he met with the Forest Service regarding the proposed well site.  He felt the meeting went well, and they were supportive.  Concerns had by the Forest Service and future plans were addressed, and referred to Ryan Taylor-Engineer.  Ryan felt design questions were their main concern, which is an easy fix.  Their archeologist asked that if anything of archeology value should be unearthed to stop construction and contact them.  They also would like to work closer with NFSSD to make sure our canyon remains safe and beautiful.   Next project of the committee is to start reviewing rates, but they would like to look at the target revenue.  Stephen Miche-Public Works and Emily Johnson-District Clerk will collect this information for the committee.  Discussions of records ensued.  Dr. Minton provided some documents that he has kept from prior meetings, a time will be set up to go over records with the District Clerk and the Board.

#2 Financial Report

– Joseph Martin-Controller presented.  He submitted a draft of the financial reports 2018 and 2017, this report is the 2018 financial statements, some changes have been made based on their recommendations.  A further review will take place before Squire issues their audit opinion.  Next week we will meet with them to get their final analysis and submit it to the State.   Joseph described the District as being in “good shape”.  We are close to closing so if the Board has suggestions for any changes, the Controller needs to be notified immediately. Discussion of a capital improvement accounts continued.  Questions regarding the reports submitted and defining the reported numbers ensued.  The staff is going to look over the PTIF funds to make sure adequate capital repairs and replacement funds are being set aside.  A statement of revenue, expenses and changes in net position-budget to actual was handed out. Dr. Minton explained to the community in attendance the history of North Fork and the water access, the condition of the system the District inherited, improvement funds, service fees and transparency requirements the District must adhere to.

#3 Fire/EMS Reports

– David Marsella-Fire Chief Presented.  Chipping is done for the season.  The community had great feedback.  Balsam street was missed due to construction.  We did 3x the usual amount of chipping due to the chipper program.  The dispatch paging system went down, AT&T also lost their cell service as a tower was being repaired.  The dispatch paging is up, AT&T will be out for a few more days.  There were 22 emergent calls in September which is above the average.  The billings have been sent to the State, we are anticipating receiving $46,000, Chief Marsella is expecting funds to be received this month.

 #4 District Clerk Information

– Emily Johnson-District Clerk presented.  PEHP open enrollment has started, dental premiums have stayed the same, medical premiums have gone up slightly.  She will work with full time employees over the next few weeks to complete enrollment.  The 2018 Workman’s Compensation audit results came back, there was a refund of over payment for 2018.  The District Clerk is trying to compile HOA information for the District area for reference.  Emily is working with Secured Instant Payments and Caselle to go paperless to cut costs and ensure easy access to statements online, the goal is to start phasing out paper bills.

#5 Water Adjudication Update

– Stephen Miche Presented.  We have received many phone calls from the public regarding the adjudication letters being mailed out.  Information regarding this can be found at  This adjudication has been going on since 1936, it is the longest civil litigation in the State of Utah.  They are trying to find out what rights are out there and who they belong to, abandoned water rights, etc.  They are asking property owners to make a formal claim, so anyone who has property in the Provo Canyon area will continue to receive notifications.  The deeded water shares have been a question from residents.  The answer is that they fall under a municipality and the District will be reporting these shares.  Contact has been made with the investigator for this project.  Lee Kapaloski-Legal Counsel, Stephen and Emily will be meeting with him to make sure the District is properly representing the NFSSD users.   Lee explained that the “summons” was sent out to all property owners NOT just water owners.  A preliminary notice will be sent out in October 2019.  Lee Kapaloski gave the community in attendance a history of the water and claims in the canyon prior to the District.

 #6Water/Waste Water Reports

– Aubree Durrant-Public Works presented.  Handout of monthly water usage and Timpanogos Divide SNOTEL was submitted.  The red line on Monthly Water usage represents the current year.  The numbers are low due to fixes in the system.  Discussion of water metering and unaccounted water ensued.  Since references were taken last year, we can better meter water this year and future use.

We are in the process of bringing online tank 3.  There were some problems with the altitude valve to prevent power outage issues. It operates on water pressure.

We are getting close to final construction of the Aspen Grove pump.

A1 septic pumped and cleaned the waste water tanks because the FOG level was so high.  Rhino pumps is rebuilding a lift station pump, it was caked in FOG making it run poorly.  Cleaning the lift station more frequently may help with this issue.  They believe its fat, oil and grease causing the clog which has been the findings during the EQ basin project.  Timing is an issue as the winter is approaching and there some unresolved questions regarding the EQ basin project, which means this project will be postponed again.  Securing a contractor this Fall so a Spring construction can start was discussed.  Ryan Taylor is obtaining quotes regarding Spring construction planning.   The Public Works department is asking for a plan of action in case a catastrophic event should occur, requiring closing down the waste water system.  There needs to be an agreement made between Sundance and NFSSD to prepare for such an event.  Stewart Olsen suggested a contingency plan be created.  Mitigation plans are in the work per Stephen Miche-Public Works

Stephen Miche stated that the interlock device on the garbage compactor was fixed earlier this month, but the lock is now broken.  Stephen is looking into a long-term fix as the latch on the compactor is continually being broken.  Hauling and repairs are causing higher expenditures for garbage services.    

Action Items

#1.  Approval of September 2019 Meeting Minutes

– Gary Liddiard moved to approve the September 2019 Meeting Minutes, Stewart Olsen seconded, all voted aye.  Minutes accepted, motion passed.

#2.  2019 Budget Amendment Approval

– Dr. Minton outlined what an amended budget is to the public present.  Joseph Martin-Controller presented 2 handouts including the current budget that was adopted in December 2018 for the 2019 year and the proposed amended budget for 2019.   Some line items were nearing or going over budgeted amounts, but other categories were under budget. It was explained that the amendment is necessary in order to stay in compliance with the State budget and spending rules by not going over on categories and explained that this budget is authorization to spend. Joseph explained the budget documents in further detail, he discussed line items with employees to determine what is needed until the end of the year and that rates should be determined by actual not budget numbers as budget numbers are anticipation of costs to function.  The Controller encouraged any questions be address to himself or the District Clerk.

Gary Liddiard motioned to tentatively approve the 2019 amended budget, to be formally adopted in the November 2019 board hearing after the Board has had more time to examine the documents and address any questions or concerns prior to the November hearing.  Stewart Olsen seconded this motion.  All voted aye, none opposed.  Motion passed.

#3.  Possible approval of contractor for the Stewart Spring Rehabilitation 

– Ryan Taylor- TO-Engineers presented.  Hourly rates from two contractors were received from DB Building and Mitchell Excavation.  Mitchell Excavation is the least expensive of the two for the same services, if they are not available DB Building would be a good second choice.  Mitchell has worked with us before and we have been happy with the services they provided. Construction can start next week.  The water system will not be affected until all State approvals are received.  A vote is not needed as funding for this was approved in a prior hearing, the Board approves of moving forward with construction.

At 9:33 p.m. Gary Liddiard motioned to end the October 2019 Board Meeting.  Keith Payne seconded this motion, all voted aye.  Meeting closed.

Minutes noted and recorded by Emily Johnson-District Clerk