North Fork Special Service District

Monthly Board Meeting

July 9, 2020 @ 6:30 p.m.

This meeting was held remotely through the ZOOM application

Any members of the public that wanted to join the public portion of the meeting were asked to email a request for invite to the  District Clerk at or call 801.225.7263 or 801.404.4734 prior to the meeting in 3 separate public posts.


Board members present:

Dr. Stephen Minton- Chairman, Stewart Olsen-Vice Chair, Scott Hart, Duaine Dorton, Thomas Merrill, Gary Liddiard

 Staff members present:

Stephen Miche-Public Works Director, Aubree Durrant-Public Works, Emily Johnson-District Clerk, Ryan Taylor-TO Engineering, Abbi-TO Engineering, David Marsella-Fire Chief, Lee Kapaloski-Legal Council

Public Present:

Dan Merkley, Chris Storbeck, Keith Payne


The July 2020 Monthly Meeting of the Board was brought to order by Dr. Stephen Minton-Chairman at 6:30 p.m.  Stewart Olsen motioned to enter closed executive session at 6:35 p.m. to discuss Chief Marsella’s 2-year contract agreement., Duaine Dorton Seconded.  Closed executive session commenced until 7:07 p.m.  At 7:07 p.m. Stewart Olsen motioned to return to general session, Duaine Dorton seconded.  The electronic meeting was opened to the public.

Public Comments

– None

Informational Items

#1 Fire/EMS Reports

– Fire Chief David Marsella presented.  The North Fork Fire Department has deployed three times to three different states in the past month (we had to turn down two assignments).  Billings to the State of Utah are approximately $66,000 year to date.

EMS/Ambulance billings this year has been approximately $75,000 and our collections rate is around $65,000.

In June there were 20 emergent calls which is slightly lower than previous years.  This week there was a car fire, a head on collision and more people are starting to leave their homes and visit the canyon.

Chief Marsella reported that the cement wall located on the side of the station (blocks) are moving.  This needs to be addressed to see if the structure is safe.

Dr. Stephen Minton-Chair asked what the protocol is for personal protective equipment (PPE) for our ambulance.  Chief Marsella stated that dispatch will ask the appropriate protocol questions for COVID-19, if the symptoms are consistent with COVID-19, dispatch is directing them to call their physician or to drive directly to the hospital.  If there is a respiratory issue, procedure is to have the patient meet the medical staff at their door so the protective gear can be fitted prior to entering the ambulance.  A private company has been through station and fogged the ambulance and gear with an antiviral fog as well as wiping equipment down.  Should we encounter a COVID-19 patient, the fogging will be done again or as needed.  Employees are quarantined from working if they have concerns of being exposed or symptoms of illness.  North Fork has not had any staff who have reported testing positive for the virus.

District Clerk Information

– Emily Johnson-District Clerk presented.  The audit is completed, Squire is waiting for the Audit Representation Letter to be signed.  Emily asked that Dr. Minton find that document in his email and sign so the 2019 audit can be finalized and uploaded to the State for transparency reporting.  The DRAFT of the 2019 was emailed to the Board prior to the meeting, Squire will be attending the August 2020 board meeting to review the findings of the audit.

The internet is having issues, there is connection access about 250 feet away from the fire station through Century Link, but they quoted $600 per month to connect to their services due to construction that would be necessary.  The District Clerk will continue to look for cost effective and reliable internet services for the District.

#4 Water/Wastewater Report

– Aubree Durrant-Public Works presented.  She provided an update to the possible membrane leak announced during the last board meeting.  The problem was located, it was a leak in a tube that has now been repaired.  Aubree believes the tube either became loose or was pulled off during maintenance.  Aubree explained there were 400+ tubes that had to be examined.  There was an inclusion on a pump, a broken plastic cup that wedged in a pipe, that has now been fixed and the pump is up and running properly.  Aubree explained that that materials are getting through the fine screens on the wastewater tanks, they are very old and need replacement.  Public Works is waiting on a replacement quote.  Stephen Miche-Public Works discussed how the planned equalization station (EQ station) will aid in screening material prior to reaching the waste station and adding other temporary solutions while the main screen is being repaired or replaced.  Stewart Olsen-Vice Chair inquired if there is currently a screening option included in the EQ station plans.  Ryan Taylor-TO Engineering responded that there is not, but the included grit chamber will help with collection along with some settling before it hits the membranes.  Dr. Minton asked if we could get some information about adding screens as it may be more cost effective to do it during the build rather than after.  Discussions of membranes and testing of membranes ensued.

Thomas Merrill-Board inquired about a check he signed on behalf of the District for approval in the amount of $480.00 for sewer testing.  He wanted to know if the District pays for that or Sundance Resort.  Stephen Miche stated the District pays for the testing as it’s a requirement by the State for our discharge permit and for operations of the plant.  Dr. Minton asked if we are currently running both sewer basins, Stephen stated we have been running both basins in anticipation of Sundance Resort opening, but labs were received today that indicate 50 lbs. of BOD per day, so the treatment plant will drop down to one basin and see if it will be able to manage the current waste load.

Aubree Durrant reported that unaccounted water is at 13%, they have narrowed down the possible leak source to the upper pressure zone but have not isolated the exact location or source.  Stephen states this is most likely a leak in the line since the meters were just read and it’s not reflecting on any of the residential sides, Public Works is currently tracking this down.

Stephen Miche read from the water report.  Consumption is down, he is working with the State to bring down chlorine treatment requirements, the construction by Gerber at the Aspen Grove pump house is nearing completion.

Cost service analysis update; there has been hydrant data collected.  There was a ruling back on a 2-acre foot water right application by the State.  It was denied based on the type of water source.  Lee Kapaloski-Legal Counsel stated Darrell Skousen have been working on the transfer of this water to the District on behalf of a property owner (Berge) and will possibly file a reconsideration.  Lee explained this application is not the financial responsibility of the District.  It’s the obligation of the property owner to pursue and not part of the District’s well application or the State Water Adjudication application.

Duaine Dorton asked Stephen to walk him through the next steps in the process of the water cost analysis.  Stephen stated the hydrant data allows TO-Engineering to put it into a water model in order to make necessary changes to the system.  TO-Engineering is currently working on the water model.  Ryan Taylor-Engineer stated once the model is completed then a capital improvement plan will be created with a dollar figure attributed, which is a major part of the rate study and should be completed in the next month.  At that point, the Community Water Committee will review the information and give the Board their recommendations.

Chris Storbeck-Chair Community Water Committee shared a report with the Board prior to the board meeting.  Duaine Dorton asked about a chart showing usage going up over the past few years (District Total Usage).  Chris stated around 2014 water usage increased, the reason why it’s not identifiable is we didn’t have tracking in prior years.  2019 data was not available at the time the report was created.  Unaccounted water is down, but supply numbers are not available until Spring output numbers are available.  Chris invited anyone with questions to contact him.

Duaine Dorton inquired about the progress on the Forest Service Well Project, Chris Storbeck reported he has emailed the Forest Service supervisor and our District contact, he informed them that the District was putting the construction portion of the project on hold during COVID-19 but the District would be working on some of the preliminary steps, they have not responded.  Ryan Taylor-Engineer and Lee Kapaloski have met to discuss the change application, Ryan has also met with a hydrogeologist to talk about a protection plan and he expects the results of that any day now.

Stephen Miche discussed the report submitted to the Board “2020 Stewart Cascade Redevelopment Project”.  Brickerhaven, hydrant and fire protection were discussed.

Stephen Miche stated a sign had been damaged and he had been contacted to fix the issue.  He had concerns about the cost and time of the District on issues regarding signs and roads.  Stewart Olsen explained that in the past, the fire department did put those signs up for the fire department in order for them to find addresses.  Stewart asked if the fire department will continue to need these signs, they were placed before GPS and electronic mapping were available.  Chief Marsella stated the fire department and other organizations no longer rely on street signs, he said he didn’t budget for repairs like this and he has no expertise in metal repairs.  Board member Scott Hart suggested working with Sundance Resort to replace the sign.  Scott stated he would stop by the station and look at it so a game plan to fix it and replace can be made.  Stephen stated he had concerns about the District utilizing its resources on issues that may fall outside of the responsibilities of the District.

Other information:  None

Action Items

Approval of June 2020 Board Meeting Minutes

– Matter tabled.

Athlete Welfare Station for Valkyrie Relay

Dan Merkley left the meeting at 8:17 p.m. prior to the action item review.   Discussion of possible areas to hold the station were discussed.  Chief Marsella advised the District Clerk to have Dan call him to discuss a plan.  Matter tabled.

2020 Garbage Fee Increase   

It was voted in April a hearing would take place in May; due to COVID the hearing never took place.  The District Clerk was approved to post the hearing information to the public for August 13, 2020 at 6:30 p.m.

Invoicing/Billing Policy Change

Stephen Miche presented.  Stephen explained that the District uses outside consulting such as TO-Engineers, legal counsel and other experts on a regular basis.  Stephen is asking that all invoices are submitted to the District monthly to justify and authorize payments and to see the expenses that are associated with services.  Stephen expressed the importance of seeing the billings monthly in order to stay inside of the confines of the District Budget.  It should also be the department heads that are communicating directly with these consultants in order to avoid the District being billed for multiple phone calls regarding the same matter.  Lee Kapaloski state he will start sending his statements monthly and he will break out the consultations by project and in an itemized format.  Dr. Minton expressed that this will assist in transparency to the public for use of funds.  Stephen Miche expressed the importance of utilization the Bond funds carefully so the burden on the property owners is as little as possible.

Duaine Dorton moved that the District adopted a policy requiring all outside consulting for the District billings be submitted monthly to the District broken down by project and itemized clearly.  Scott Hart seconded the motion, all voted aye.  Motion passed.

Stewart Olsen motioned to adjourn the June 2020 Monthly Meeting of the Board Duaine Dorton seconded, all aye.  The July 2020 Monthly Meeting of the Board adjourned at 8:35 p.m.