North Fork Special Service District

Monthly Board Meeting

December 5, 2019 at 7:30 pm

North Fork Fire Station

Board members present:

Dr. Steven Minton, Stewart Olsen, Keith Payne, Bert Thomas, Gary Liddiard and Thomas Merrill.

Staff members present:

Stephen Miche-Public Works Director, Emily Johnson-District Clerk, Aubree Durrant-Public Works, Ryan Taylor-TO Engineering, David Marsella-Fire Chief, Lee Kapaloski-Legal Counsel, Joseph Martin-Controller. 

Public Present:

Chris Storbeck, Nichole Berge, Jeff LaBar, Mr. and Mrs. Lysenko, Brad Stewart

At 8:15 p.m. Brad Stewart and Chris Storbeck left the meeting

At 8:41 p.m. Mr. and Mrs. Lysenko left the meeting


December 2019 Monthly Meeting of the Board was brought to order by Dr. Stephen Minton-Chair at 7:30 p.m.

Public Comments

– None

Informational Items:

#1 2018 Financial Report

– Matt Geddes-Squire presented the findings of the 2018 Financial Audit in which he and his firm conducted.  The printed report of the 2018 Financial Statements were distributed to the Board.  Matt reported that this is the first year the District has not outsourced the drafting of the financial statements to Squire which spared the District a large expense since Emily-District Clerk and Joseph Martin-Controller were able to prepare for the audit to be performed by Squire.  Matt gave a short review of how an audit is performed.   Matt provided a copy of the 2018 Auditors Report and described its contents, how to read the reports/information and addressed the Board’s general questions.  The final report determined was compliant with the State Compliance Audit Guide.  Discussions ensued over the overall improvement of internal controls for the District over the 2019 year due to Board Member involvement and the addition of Joseph Martin-Controller.  (Matt Geddes left the meeting at 7:50 p.m.)

Water Share Request/LaBar (Action Item)      

– Due to time constraints, Mr. LaBar asked to by heard during the informational portion of the meeting.  Mr. Jeff LaBar presented a document/slide printout named Water Share Request.  Mr. LaBar gave a brief description of the property in question (The site of the Ray Stewart Cabin).  Mr. LaBar went into some detail as to what brings him here today and some “family” legal issues regarding the property and a Trust in which his wife is named along with others on the Trust.  Mr. LaBar is here requesting advice from the District as to how to move forward to obtain a legal water share as the “family cabin” has recently been determined to have an illegal water connection unbeknownst to him.  North Fork Public Works has turned the water off to the cabin, Mr. LaBar is seeking direction from the Board as to what action the Family Trust should take to obtain suitable water rights to be accepted by the District.

Stewart Olsen-Chair explained the District doesn’t have “extra water” available to sell.  Discussion of the adjudication took place and researching any existing deeds to the property was suggested.  Lee Kapaloski-Legal Council stated he would offer Mr. LaBar a water lawyer/broker referral.  The District Clerk will coordinate getting this information to Mr. LaBar in the upcoming days.

Reschedule the NFSSD Regular Board Meeting Date and acceptation of 2020 Board Hearing Dates (Action Item)

– Due to time constraints, resident Chris Storbeck asked to present earlier then reported on the agenda.  Chris suggested the current scheduled meetings on the first Thursday of the month seems to be causing staff unnecessary stress and rushing due to month end reporting, meter readings, billings, etc.  Chris suggested a meeting mid-month may be more beneficial to the District Staff in order to reduce pressure and give them ample time to prepare for meetings and hearings.  Chris suggested for the 2020 year the Board consider changing the regularly scheduled monthly meetings to the second Thursday of the month as opposed to the first Thursday of each month.  Staff and the Board discussed any conflictions, no one was opposed to the change.  Stewart Olsen moved to changing the Monthly Meeting of the Board of Trustees to be regularly scheduled on the SECOND Thursday of the month, Keith Payne seconded.  All voted aye, motion passed.  The District Clerk will update this information on the website.

#2 Fire/EMS Reports

– Chief David Marsella presented.  Chief Marsella reported staff responded to two pediatric deaths in the past month, both incidents the patients were Life Flighted which Chief Marsella has waived the family’s cost which is typical in incidents such as this (traumatic deaths).  In effect, two incident stress debriefings were conducted for the staff.  First responders, dispatch, flight crew and others who were involved were invited to attend.

A sign was hit by a car outside of the Fire Station, this was a hit and run.  Chief Marsella is working with the Sherriff’s office to find out who is responsible.  Security officers from the Sundance Resort witnessed the incident.  UDOT has been contacted to fix the sign in the Spring.

Chief Marsella reported an incident with his work truck where he slid into a car, it may not be reported since the car involved was a rental per the driver of the car.  This happened during a snow storm as the Chief was responding to multiple accidents.  There was no damage done to the bodies of the vehicles per the deputy’s inspection.

$50,000 in reimbursements has been submitted to the State for wildland billings and we are expecting some grant money for $9,800 as well before the end of the year.

Chief Marsella stated he added monies to the 2020 budget to include a full-time position for national wildland deployment, chipping and taking the engine out for wildland deployment Nationally to generate revenue (engine boss).  Some major changes are coming regarding mitigation laws, Chief Marsella’s goal is getting ahead of the curve and becoming more fire wise and increasing mitigating to protect our fire insurance coverage in the District.  Regulations are becoming much stricter, it’s pertinent we are prepared for this over the next couple years to keep our fire rating down.  This new position can meet with Forest Rangers, Sundance and some HOA’s regarding plans for the future and being proactive.  Chief Marsella will be attending a conference next year to become more educated on what insurance companies are looking for and ways to protect our canyon and the home owners’ insurances.  A job description for a full-time employee and advertising for the position will posted immediately.

#3 District Clerk Information

– Joseph Martin-Controller presented.  A hand out including a pie chart/graphs was distributed including assets and liabilities and revenues and expenses.  Discussion of the EMS department and combining the EMS and Fire departments to better identify the revenues and expenses since currently the chart of accounts has the fire department reflecting fire revenue but payroll and other large expenses are being paid out of the EMS department.  The two department will be combined in the 2020 budget to reflect a more accurate and concise picture.  Emily Johnson-District Clerk explained she and Chief Marsella are working to find a collection agency to collect on old accounts.  Dr. Minton discussed the Board is going to be evaluating revenues and expenses in order to better understand the spending of the District.

#4 Water/Wastewater Report

– Aubree Durrant-Public Works presented.  The waste water had a chemical treatment, there were some electrical issue with the system as well which was hard on the treatment process.  This occurred during Thanksgiving.  The power surges were occurring every 10 minutes.

Snotel and prior year water use was handed out.  Stewart Spring is still offline, we are waiting approval from the State to bring it back online after the redevelopment.  The meters that calculate/measure the water that is leaving tank 3 is not working at this time therefore the unaccounted water numbers may be off.

The new pipes placed around the Stewart Spring are in good working order, which is good news.  There will be a meter placed on the excess water to our drain line to measure water which is now secured and locked.  Aubree reports the water we are collecting from the Spring looks very clear.  Removing some debris from piping resulted in higher waterflow.  A cleanout was placed to address “clogging” in the future.  Ryan Taylor-TO feels there is some necessary exploration and work to be done including putting cameras in the pipe and clearing away roots and debris.  The cost of this redevelopment is underbudget at this time by half, some invoices are still outstanding.  The Springbox has two outlets being metered now which will allow us to quantify Stewart Spring output and usage and track overflow.  The intent is to “capture every drop” of water and if we are maximizing use of the system.  Do to an over chlorination hydrants were flowed which will cause for some unaccounted water in December.

The equalization tank (EQ) approval from the State of Utah for a 20,000 tank was approved but they warned it may be too small of capacity especially for future growth.  Next step is to get County approval.  A meeting with Sundance needs to occur to share these findings.

#5 Community Water Committee Update

– None

Action Items:

Approval of October 2019 and November 2019 Board Meeting Minutes

Dr. Stephen Minton made a motion to accept the October 2019 and November 2019 meeting minutes, Keith Payne seconded, Bert Thomas abstained, all other voted aye.  Motion passed.

 Water Rate Schedule Proposal

Tabled until 12/30/019 at 6:30 p.m. when a second public hearing will take place at the NFSSD Firehouse at the request of Sundance Resort to examine rate structures further.

 Adoption of Revised Budget 2019

Gary Liddiard moved to adopt the revised budget for the 2019 year based on the information presented at the Public Budget Hearing, Stewart Olsen seconded, all present voted aye.  Motion passed.

 Adoption of Budget 2020

Stewart Olsen moved to adopt the TENTATIVE budget for the 2020 year based on the information presented at the Public Budget Hearing, Gary Liddiard seconded, all present voted aye.  Motion passed.

 Aspen Grove Pump Station Change Order

Ryan Taylor-TO Engineering presented.  Due to some unexpected events such as tree removal, modifications to the retaining wall, some ground water that was discovered that required a drain to be installed.  The total change order being requested is $6,000.  Stewart Olsen made a motion to approve this change order, Gary Liddiard seconded.  All aye, motion passed.

At 9:08 p.m. Thomas Merrill motioned to close the December 2019 public meeting and enter into closed executive session to conduct employee yearend reviews for full time staff.  Keith Payne seconded this motion, all voted aye.  Meeting closed.

  • Minutes noted and recorded by Emily Johnson-District Clerk.