DRAFT

North Fork Special Service District

Monthly Board Meeting

April 8, 2021 @ 6:00 p.m.

This meeting was held remotely through the ZOOM application.  Any members of the public that wanted to join the public portion of the meeting was asked to email a request for invite to the District Clerk at admin@nfssd.org or call 801.225.7263 or 801.404.4734 prior to the meeting in public posts.

 Executive Session

Board members present:

Dr. Stephen Minton- Chairman, Stewart Olsen-Vice Chair, Scott Hart, Duaine Dorton, Gary Liddiard

*Bert Thomas arrived at 6:30 p.m

*Chad Linebaugh arrived at 6:44 p.m.

 Staff members present:

Stephen Miche-Public Works Director, David Marsella-Fire Chief, Emily Johnson-District Clerk, Aubree Durrant-Public Works, Ryan Taylor-Engineer, Mindi Neilson-FF/Medic

 Public present:

Matt Jensen arrived at approximately 6:30 p.m.

Steve Spiker arrived at 6:56

At 6:18 p.m. the meeting was brought to order.  Sundance Mountain Resort’s attorney Matt Jensen asked to meet with the Board to discuss water rights.  Some of the information may have contained private commercial information and trade secrets of the commercial entity, so it was posted as a close session.  During the meeting Matt Jensen stated the public could be present, any persons in the waiting room were invited into the meeting.  All materials presented will be made available to view by the public and included in the posted meeting minutes titled “NFFD Water Presentation by Resort”.

Monthly Meeting of the Board of Officers

 Board members present:

Dr. Stephen Minton- Chairman, Stewart Olsen-Vice Chair, Scott Hart, Duaine Dorton, Chad Linebaugh, Bert Thomas, Gary Liddiard

*Duaine Dorton left at 7:49 p.m.

 Staff members present:

Stephen Miche-Public Works Director, David Marsella-Fire Chief, Emily Johnson-District Clerk, Aubree Durrant-Public Works, Ryan Taylor-Engineer, Mindi Nielson-FF/Medic

 Public present:

Matt Jensen, Gene Payne, Steve Spiker, Bryan Kindred

Public Comments

Steve Spiker asked if there could be a designated turn around spot near the garbage compactor.  District Clerk stated she would work with Public Works to find a solution.

Informational Items

#1 Fire/EMS Reports

– Chief David Marsella joined the meeting from out of town.  He will report March numbers and information in the May 2021 Board Meeting.

 #2 District Clerk Information

– Emily Johnson-District Clerk presented. Check registers were emailed to the Board prior to this meeting, there were no questions regarding register information.  Emily reported she is working with Josh McKell of The Utah Local Governments Trust on increasing liability insurance for the District, the status of the increase is currently in underwriting.

Audit of 2020 is currently in progress.

Utah County Commissioners are accepting applications for the vacant seat at North Fork for an officer of the board.  It was specified in the Commissioners posting that applicants must live within the District.

Emily asked that the North Fork Board complete all training for 2021 prior to Squire’s completed audit.

#3 Financial Information

– Joseph Martin-Controller was unable to attend the meeting.

#4 Water/Wastewater Report

– Aubree Durrant-Public Works presented.  Graphs and reports were distributed to the Board prior to the meeting.  Aubree reported unaccounted water was found the last day of the month, this has been fixed and is no longer leaking.  They are still investigating the leak in the upper pressure zone.

Water consumption is higher by approximately 1,100,000 gallons.  Snow water equivalent this season peaked at 12.8 inches.  She believes there is a correlation between the snow water equivalent and the prior year spring production.  Deer Creek capacity is 84.27%, this is an increase from last month.  Jordanelle capacity is 67.38%, this is a decrease from last month.

A T-Chlor clean was performed on the same side the acid clean was made on, this had a huge improvement indicating that both T-Chlor and Hydrochloric Acid were required to clean the membranes.  Labs indicate there was a violation with the Sundance discharge permit on March 17th, additional testing was done on March 27th, labs indicated compliance with the Sundance discharge permit. Due to low flows and Sundance being closed samples will not be taken for a couple weeks.  The grease traps are helping the wastewater operations.  Tests are approximately $400.00 each process, tests are done sporadically and on different days and times.  Stephen Miche stated he tries to pick days staff can get samples to the lab within the sample/testing time frame which limits testing to weekdays.

Stephen Miche reported the equalization basin project (EQ) at Sundance Resort has begun.  There was an incident with a powerline being hit, power to the lift station was out but has been repaired which incurred a cost to the District.  Once the lines are moved, TO-Engineer will need to mark these utilities.  During the construction there was an old snow making pipe unearthed that will be capped off.

A part time employee has been hired for the Public Works department; he is currently going through training.

Last month it was reported that the Utah State Division of Drinking Water had conflicts with District information.  Stephen has authorized TO Engineering to compile a report regarding water source capacity to make sure the State calculated correctly to show actual usage for the District.

There was an illegal water connection at the old “Jimerson Cabin” River Run 17.  The new owner is going to supply the District with the appropriate water shares, an easement needs to be made with Sundance as the pipe travels through Sundance Resort’s property.  Stephen will reach out to Sundance directly regarding this, Justin Sorenson of Sundance is aware of the situation.

The Pines HOA agreement is being held up due to a homeowner having hesitation, also there has been difficulty finding a plumber to complete the work.

Stephen commented in addition to the 172.32-acre feet the District also has 3-acre feet water shares (irrigation).  After the rights for The Ridge Lots (Redford), SMO2.0, Boneyard Office, etc. 186.436-acre feet in water rights 189.436 with the 3-acre feet (2-acre feet are Provo Reservoir water users and 1-acre Washington water users).  A breakdown is available to the public, if anyone would like to view the documents please reach out to Stephen Miche.

Matt Jensen-Sundance Attorney stated he is working with Lee Kapaloski to prepare the deed with Redford to transfer The Ridge Lot shares.  He stated it will not be a complicated process, they are just determining the actual acre feet to be transferred.

Action Items

#1 Approval of the March 2021 Board Meeting Minutes

Gary Liddiard motioned to accept the March 2021 board meeting minutes as written, Scott Hart seconded.  All aye, no opposed.  Motion passed.

#2 Wildland Engine

Information regarding replacing the 22-year-old engine was emailed to the public and Board prior to this meeting.  Discussions have been taking place about buying a new engine in prior board meetings this year.  A reservation has been made on a new engine using funds generated by the Wildland program.  Loss of an engine would be a loss of revenue.  Chief Marsella hopes that in addition to the new engine the old engine can be used locally for at lease another season to help generate revenue for the District, having an extra engine will also aid in the upcoming ISO rating for the Canyon.  Dr. Minton asked where we would store both engines.  Chief Marsella stated he plans to sell the old engine in the Fall of 2021 and store the new engine where the current truck is being sheltered.   He has spoke to a few local fire chiefs and they have agreed to help store the engine incase it’s unable to be sold immediately.

A breakdown of billable rates was discussed.  There are some required costs the District is facing including a new radio/communication system with the County and some air tanks that have expired.  Although grants have been applied for, they may not be secured.  The wildland income could help with those expenses.  Steve Spiker-Resident asked if Chief Marsella was writing the grants himself.  Chief Marsella stated he is writing some of the smaller grants on his own and getting assistance with the larger grants.  Steve Spiker asked if he would be interested in the HOA’s in the District assisting with the grants.  Chief Marsella gladly accepted any assistance the public could provide.  Scott Hart clarified that the engine is coming fully stocked with hoses and other accessories, there will also be replacement parts readily available locally.

Stewart Olsen motioned to buy the new Wildland Engine as outlined in Chief Marsella’s report.  Chad Linebaugh seconded the motion.  All aye, no opposed.  Motion passed.

 #3 Portable Generator

The Public Works department needs a portable generator for the Spring rehabilitation so some work can be done in-house and save the District some costs.  To use tools in the area, the generator will be needed.  Research has been done on generators that will fit the needs and budget, it will be approximately $1,300.00.

A motion to authorize the purchase of a portable generator for the Public Works department if the unit Gary Liddiard is offering the District to borrow is not sufficient by Scott Hart.  Stewart Olsen seconded, all in favor no opposed.  Motion passed.

At 8:57 p.m. Stewart Olsen motioned to close the Monthly Meeting of the Board of Officers, Scott Hart second.  All aye, no opposed.  The meeting ended at 8:38 p.m.

  • Minutes noted and recorded by Emily Johnson-District Clerk.
  • Thomas Merrill resigned from the Board in January 2021 and his place has not been filled

Agenda Board Meeting 4-8-2021

NFSSD Water Presentation by Resort

To be published Notice of Vacancy North Fork SSD 3.31.2021

3-2021 Monthly Water Report for Board

ENG-212

NFFD fire engine 212 purchase proposal

Portable Generator Request